There is support and guidance for all students who wish to apply for an online postgraduate degree. If you have decided that the University of Birmingham is the right choice for you, it’s time to put an application together. Use our checklist below for a step-by-step guide on the requirements for submitting your application.
Choose a programme to apply for, by selecting from the titles below:
- Online MBA
- Online MBA Clinical Leadership
- Online MSc Bioinformatics
- Online MSc International Management
- Online Master of Public Administration
- Short courses in public administration
- Online LLM Energy and Environmental Law
- Online PGCert Design for Learning Environments
Fill out your online application, saving your progress as you go.
Gather and submit your application documents.
These vary depending on which programme you choose to study. An example of the types of documents you need are detailed below:
- Transcripts: You will need to submit previous academic transcripts to verify your educational background. These can be sent directly from your previous institution, or you can have them notarised.
- A statement of purpose: This is your chance to explain your motivation for applying, your educational and professional background, and why you feel the online programme is right for you.
- Two references: Your references can be in the form of letters of recommendation, sent via email or post, or as transcribed recordings. All references must be accompanied by either a wet signature, letterhead or a business card relating to your chosen contact.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or résumé: You need to supply an up-to-date CV, so we can verify your skills and experience. This helps us to make sure you have the right entry requirements and appropriate background for the programme you wish to study. It’s a chance for you to demonstrate your suitability as a prospective student, rather than an employee.
- Evidence of language: If your first language is not English, you can still apply, though you will need to provide evidence that you have completed one of the following:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)
The level of English necessary for each programme varies, so please see the specific entry requirements for more information.
Have your application reviewed by a member of our recruitment team:Once you are ready to apply, email your application and supporting documents to your dedicated Student Recruitment Coordinator for review.They will check through your documents and compare them against the entry criteria. Your Coordinator is there to provide guidance, advice and honest feedback throughout your application process, so it’s good to keep in regular contact with them until your start date.
Submit your application:After you submit your application, the University will review every aspect in detail. As a Russell Group university, we stick to a rigorous, case-by-case evaluation process. We aim to give you a decision within 45 days, though this does vary depending on the point at which you apply within our recruitment cycle and the type of programme you are applying for. You will either receive an unconditional or a conditional offer, or a rejection, after which you will not be able to reapply for at least 12 months.
Speak with your recruitment coordinator
If you have any questions about submitting your application, we are here to make the process as simple as possible. Call us on +44 (0)800 032 7101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.